J.Lo’s new Fiat ad is a sham!
Jennifer Lopez, an American actress, singer, dancer and television celebrity is in rough waters these days because of her multi-million deal for showcasing the new ad of the Italian car maker: Fiat, which has proved to be a sham. The commercial starring Jennifer Lopez driving through her beloved hometown, The Bronx in a Fiat features images of her hometown including a break dancer, a man drumming on an overturned pail and a colorful mural that reads “I Heart the Bronx.” It has been reported and confirmed that it was not J.Lo who was a part of the original shoot but simply a body double, in fact while the body double was shooting in New York, Jennifer was in L A.
This is a case of false-advertising. Careful editing was used to fool viewers into believing that J.Lo was on a soul-searching drive through the Bronx telling prospective Fiat buyers, ‘This is my world. This place inspires me to be tougher, to stay sharper, to think faster’.
Also, the commercial has triggered a copyright dispute involving a Bronx-based graffiti crew whose work is featured prominently in the advertisement. The mural artists and TATS Cru claimed the image is copyrighted and it was used without permission, which is considered a fraud.
The Italian auto maker was of the view that they took the opportunity to film wherever Ms. Lopez was working at the time to accommodate her schedule and Lopez doesnât see a problem in this as there are many cases where films are done in the same way. Actually it’s a part of advertising (their editing tricks) to amuse the audience which is not the reality. Avatar was not really shot on another planet, all of the Harry potter movies used “special effects” to make them fly, Tarzan scenes for Africa were actually shot in Israel or Jerusalem.
Although these kind of editing tricks are part of advertising, but it has its adverse effects as well:
1. Car makerâs credibility is on stake. Fiat was not catering to the US markets for a decade and is now facing a difficult time re-entering the market making this kind of fake advertisement.
2. Fiat also has to face the financial impact as the launch of the car has been delayed and it is not been able to meet the projected sales forecast in the US market.
3. Celebrities also have to stake their glitter and popularity for getting attached with this kind of activities. Jennifer not only starred in the commercial but also endorsed the Italian car maker in her video album âPapiâ and also used the vehicle during her performance at the American Music Awards. People’s Most Beautiful Woman for 2011, Glamor’s Woman of the Year and being one of the judges of âAmerican Idolâ, Jennifer is losing her fansâ appreciation as her fans are now raising eye-brows after this commercial fiasco.
4. These kind of advertisements will also be having an adverse effect on the society as people will loose trust in the kind of advertising which is far from reality.
5. Sometimes the advertiser may have to face the legal action as in this case the patented mural was used without artistâs permission which sued them later on.